Interview with Heckenheinrich

The classic RTS games

Moderator: [DD]Trip

Interview with Heckenheinrich

Postby [DD]Trip » Mon 2. Feb 2009, 23:56

The winner of the 2008 Kanes Wrath World Cyber Games silver medal, Heckenheinrich, was kind enough to provide our clan with an exclusive interview.

It was conducted in German using IRC Chat. The original german version can be found here:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=292
The following is a translation to english:

<DD|Trip> Hello Heckenheinrich, how did you start out with C&C? Which was your first title?

<Heckenheinrich> Hello Trip. The (in the meantime) ex friend of my sister got me into C&C and after they split he left the copy of C&C Generals at our home.
Our only pc was free and I could finally play on it.
At a later point I had my own PC and played Generals Fun Maps.

<DD|Trip>
At the World Cyber Games 2008 you reached the second place. How did you prepare for that tournament?

<Heckenheinrich> My preparation was so-so. On the one side I disliked the game I once liked, on the other hand I was aware of the unique chance to participate on the WCG.
So I brought myself to play Ladder again or to play with friends. Foremost I thought about how I could play something new in order to compensate the lack of training with innovation.

<DD|Trip> Do you think it was an advantage having less pressure, than those guys considered as favourites.

<Heckenheinrich> Definitly. I guess one plays better without any pressure, at least in my case. It's the same thing for me at real life sports.
If I go to a match/event without any expectations, I do it better.

<DD|Trip>
Which real life sports do you play?

<Heckenheinrich> I'm into table-tennis for several years. I also like jogging and riding my bicycle in the summertime.

<DD|Trip>
You played Reaper, where do you see the strength of that race?

<Heckenheinrich> Well... Reaper had the strongest T2 Tank in 1.01, the strongest antiair (Walker/Photon Cannon), the Tiberium Scan for free and the Buzzer Swarm.
If you had an army consisting of Devourers / Corruptors, you could basically beat everything, except Orcas, which I found out in the finals.

<DD|Trip> Traveller-59 or Marked of Kane where basically not existing in the World Cyber Games, How come?
Would it have been possible to put the pressure on Dackel using Cultists?

<Heckenheinrich> Basically Marked of Kane was a cool thing. Personally I like the EMP Troops, but at the same time the EMP was so buggy,
that it was too risky for me to play that army.
Because it's annoying if you know you should have stopped 3 tanks, but the grenade comes 5 seconds too late.
Traveller lack the Tech 2 tank. Cultists are nice but cannot stop a spam.

I doubt that cultists would have been able to put the pressure on Dackel. He goes for a strong economy push and then mass units.
So you perform an eco push as well or your try an all in rush that works. At the WCG final I wasn't prepared for that and wasn't aware of any good tactics,
so I tried an combination and lost.

<DD|Trip> Do you think that Kanes Wrath fits for competition like Warcraft 3 does?

<Heckenheinrich> I think that basically every strategy game fits as an eSports game. Even if you cannot compare Kanes Wrath with Warcraft 3,
still both titles can have their right to exist. Provided that, in both games wins the guy, that played better.

<DD|Trip> What do you think about Red Alert 3?

<Heckenheinrich> I don't have many impressions... I didn't play the game for a while. First I liked the fact,
that you fight with a similar economy and that a destroyed harvester doesn't mean the end of the game.
But the early versions of the game had heavy imbalances, so I stopped after about 50 matches.
A part from that somehow I didn't like the game.

<DD|Trip> Do you want to play Starcraft 2 on a professional level?

<Heckenheinrich> Good Question. Bascially I'm too bad for it. On the other side I don't care, I just like competition. If I own a PC capable
of running the game, until the games is out, I'll get it eventually, despite I have a passion for Warcraft 3 at the moment.

<DD|Trip> Thanks for the interview, is there anything else you want to tell us?

<Heckenheinrich>
I say thanks and send out greetings to the good guys of former AX and to the good guys at the United Forum.
The road to hell is full of good intentions.
[DD]Trip
Admin

Re: Interview with Heckenheinrich

Postby [DD]FallenXE » Tue 3. Feb 2009, 12:02

Nice,DD is getting famous with the pros. I wonder if his WCG replays are able 2 be downloaded?.Hope that you'll post some for us Trip! :goodjob:
[DD]FallenXE
Jedi Master

Postby [DD]Trip » Tue 3. Feb 2009, 12:08

When the replays are concerned, there you go:

http://www.wcg.com/6th/replay/replay.asp
The road to hell is full of good intentions.
[DD]Trip
Admin

Postby [DD]FallenXE » Tue 3. Feb 2009, 12:29

Thanks a lot Trip.This strategies would prove really useful :headbang:
[DD]FallenXE
Jedi Master

Postby [DD]FlamerTank » Tue 3. Feb 2009, 22:40

Thanks for the translation!
Ore wo dare da to omotte yagaru!?
-----------------------------------
Who the hell do you think i am!?
[DD]FlamerTank
Jedi Master

Postby reidyj » Tue 3. Feb 2009, 23:36

thnx alot for that interview it was a real insight.
reidyj
Forum Rookie

Return to Command & Conquer Series